Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

Where is the Love?


Is anyone else tired of all Valentine’s Day bashing? After watching a recent Glee episode, it occurred to me that more people should speak up in favor of Valentine's Day.

If you’re one of the people who just don’t get it. Listen up.

Many of us understand what it’s like to be single, lonely or dumped. Some of us even know what it’s like to have these things happen on Valentine’s Day. Others may be cynical. But, is it really necessary to trash a holiday that’s fun for kids while you’re stocking up on candy kisses and conversation hearts? If I’m in the holiday aisle with my kid and you see me, feel free to continue berating said holiday to your cell-buddy a few aisles over so my child doesn’t have to hear it!

Come on, is it really so awful to have a day dedicated to love and the many ways people can express it?

Most of us pro-Valentine folks just want to have a little fun. It shouldn’t bother you that we enjoy exchanging valentines amongst ourselves. Maybe our kids give us a reason to plaster doilies and sparkles all over a billion pieces of paper or we just enjoy the mid-winter candy fix. But, if it’s so bad, don’t buy the cards or candy, don’t bother with it at all. Leave the fun stuff to the kids, lovers and romantics.

Sure, you're entitled to your opinion that Valentine’s Day was made up by greeting card or candy companies. My opinion is different. It’s wonderful that my daughter beams while making cookies shaped like smoochie lip kisses and sending valentines; can we just have our day?

Sometimes it can suck to be stuck without something to do when you feel pressured. Let me help take the pressure off – treat it like any other day! Do what you like, stay in, stay crabby, or do nothing. It’s not like it’s a national holiday or anyone is required to celebrate. If you don’t like it, don’t bother celebrating.

It is like most of life, it is what you make of it. This year, it would be nice to hear a little more love. I mean, don’t we have enough hate going around these days? You don’t have to embrace it; just let those of us who look forward to it enjoy it. I’ll cuddle my family and share all the frilly cards and candies I can, while I can. You can have your V-Day slam fest, just don’t do it in front of the kids, please.

Happy Valentine’s Day!

2 comments:

  1. Are we a little testy because we're a year older?!! Happy Valentine's Day and HAPPY BIRTHDAY, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe just a little. Could be that I need more chocolate in my diet. :) Thanks for thinking of me and Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...