Pages

Thursday, August 14, 2014

When writing gets real

This is what it's about. This is where I've been. This is when writing is real. Often, eerily, other people (characters) have to take over your brain, or some part of the process to make your story believable.

I discovered a post on Omnivoracious in which Karin Slaughter and Gillian Flynn have a conversation about books, characters, and process. The whole thing is great reading, but my favorite summation of the writing process is from Slaughter (seriously, what thriller writer wouldn't kill for that name?):


"Some of my best work comes from a flop sweat of realizing that what I’ve just spent two weeks knowing was going to be perfect and work brilliantly will never make it onto the final page. And I think going down these wrong roads teaches you about your characters, because at the end of the day, the story should always work in service to the characters."


Now, back to work so I may bring you an actual book of my own. Check back for updates and reveals!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...