Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

There's an App-le for that


Apple pie is great, á la mode it’s even better. Since we’re approaching apple-picking season, I thought about mini apple desserts that, I must admit my family loves. Here’s what I did.

Using store bought piecrust, I had my daughter help me cut out small shapes. You can use a medium-size glass or get creative with cookie cutters. We placed the shapes on a cookie sheet, poked them with a fork a couple times and baked them in a preheated 400º oven until they were golden brown, about 10 minutes.

When the crusts were done, I pulled them out and let them cool a little while I made the following recipe for yummy, warm apples.

Next, I pulled out some French Vanilla Ice Cream and let it soften a little.

We assembled the desserts, layering one piecrust shape, a helping of the apple mix, a whipped cream dollop, another piecrust shape, more apple mix, another whipped cream dollop and served it with a side of ice cream. They were like double-decker apple tarts. Wow, so good!

Warm Apples
2 Granny Smith Apples
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons brown sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
Dash of cloves

1.   Dice apples into small bites.
2.   Heat butter in sauté pan over medium heat and add the apples. Cook 7-10 mins.
3.   When apples are coated and warmed through, stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves and continue cooking about 4 mins.
4.   Assemble mini desserts or serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a wonderful treat!


Got another fruity dessert idea? Share it here and it could be the next one we try.

SYOAS – See you online again soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...