Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

Oscars and the Grouch

The Oscars are on this weekend, but not in our house.

I used to watch celebrities and think, Someday I could do what they do. Well, someday is here, and let’s just say I went another direction. I’m not a grouch. I’m happy with my life, and I still enjoy arts and entertainment, but there isn’t much time to say movie, much less see one these days.

Anyway, who really needs Meryl Streep’s career creds or Melissa McCarthy’s humor, really? Okay, so maybe I’m a little grouchy, but it’s only because I’m sleep deprived and feeling wrinkly today.

Movies are a luxury. One of my Resolutions for The Twelve is to see more movies, but I have seen exactly one this year, and it was in my living room. Still, it’s a start. So, since I couldn’t offer much insight into the Oscars or the movies, actors and writers nominated, I thought I’d give you cocktail ideas to celebrate the silver screen instead. 

Oh, and here’s a cool link to this year’s Official Oscar Nominee List in case you occasionally get lost during the program like I do (used to). 

Blackberry Kir
Ingredients:
            6 Tbs. blackberry liqueur 
            1 bottle (750ml) Sauvignon Blanc or Chablis, well chilled 
Directions:
Pour 1 Tbs. of the blackberry liqueur into each wineglass. Fill each glass two-thirds full with wine (about 4 fl. oz./125ml). Serve immediately. Serves 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Easy Entertaining, by George Dolese (Simon & Schuster, 2005). Read more

Sidecar
Ingredients
            Ice cubes
            1/2 fluid ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
            1/2 fluid ounce Cointreau or triple sec
            1 fluid ounce brandy
            1 lemon wedge
Directions
Fill a cocktail shaker 3/4 full with ice cubes. Pour in lemon juice, Cointreau, and brandy. Cover and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds until the outside of the shaker becomes cold and frosty. Strain into a martini glass and garnish with a wedge of lemon. Read more

Baby Bellini (Non-Alcoholic)
Ingredients
            1 1/2 cups peach concentrate, chilled*
            4 bottles (750 ml bottle) sparkling cider such as Martinelli's, chilled
            48 raspberries**
            *If you cannot find peach concentrate or purée, buy frozen peaches and purée.
            **Raspberries are generally sold in either 1/2-pint or 6-ounce packages; you'll need more than one 1/2 pint or one package for this recipe.
Directions
1. Pour 1 tablespoon peach concentrate into each glass.
2. Fill each Champagne glass two-thirds full with sparkling cider.
3. Drop 2 raspberries into each Champagne flute and serve. Read More

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...