Pages

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Playing through…Part 2

Grief doesn't just stop when the funeral is over, and it certainly doesn't stop when you try and resume your daily activities as if the world is unchanged. Your part of the world has changed, and it's completely normal to act like it.

I don't advocate wallowing in misery every minute of the day, but sometimes it's okay. 

I mean, it's been months and I still get choked up every now and then thinking of grandma. She's gone. Really gone. I think of all the people she influenced, people she stayed in touch with, helped, talked to each day, and loved. I think of how my mom lost her mother, we lost our grandma and my kids lost their great-grandma. Just when it starts to feel overwhelming, I remember how many times grandma told us to hug the babies and each other. 

We all have to move on, and so I do. But, I try to pause briefly and remember all the good things she did so I can share them with our children. I need to make sure to be there for my mom, too. She must be going through a number of emotions as she tries to deal with her loss. 

I just think it's important to give ourselves time to react and reflect, and give those around us the same courtesy. It feels like a time to reflect, but stress over all the other things going on starts to take over.

Thinking about all the work we need to finish this weekend before we start another work week makes me cringe. Assignments, bills, home projects, and school work loom for most of us, but there really is no need to get hyper-stressed about getting it all done perfectly in one day. Right? Maybe I won't get my kid's student project, work assignments, this blog and my book finished and published today, but it will happen (soon, in fact). Everything will work out as long as I remember to do the important stuff, like hugging the kiddos and my husband, first. 

Feel like sharing your ideas/advice about how to get through a tough time or loss? Comment below. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...