Pages

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Parental Leave for the Teen Years

Here's a Yahoo article about taking parental leave when your kids are teenagers. This piece highlights a study showing the positive impact engaged time both parents had with their kids during adolescence, but I think there's something to be said for engaged time with kids of all ages. Engaged time is what it sounds like, time when parents are directly engaged with their children. 

Far too often, I find myself pulled in various directions. There is a benefit to accessible time where you are present, but doing something else. However, I'm letting this serve as a reminder to set aside work, household chores, even phones/tech toys (put them in another room!) to get on my child's level and play more often than ever. If we reinforce these connections while they're young, it might make it easier to navigate the tween/teen years ahead. I hope. 

I'm filing this one away, so I can reference it again when needed. You may find it interesting too. 

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/the-case-for-taking-parental-leave-when-your-kids-115682208970.html?soc_src=mags&soc_trk=copy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...