Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

Summer Reads: A Novel Is All the Rage Even Before It Is Sold

Jonathan Franzen is creating a frenzy - check out this Books of The Times article about his novel "Freedom" that hits stands tomorrow.

It's everywhere, creating buzz. The president has an advance copy, and I even found this interesting article by Esquire. Here is a blurb, read the rest here.

Whatever else Freedom is, it's a great slab of a book. Check out the specs: 576 pages (small font, tight spacing). Check out the sweep: a large cast of intergenerational characters, a narrative that covers more than 30 years and engages issues ranging from the influence of Big Coal on our politics to the way sex can both create love and destroy it. This is a book that acts as though people still had long conversations, still read long books.


All this hype makes me wonder - what makes a good book great? What do you think?


3 comments:

  1. Well, I have to admit I was intrigued by this article. I went to Amazon and read the book's description. It sounds exactly as promised in the article. There was a time when I would have been first in line to purchase a book such as this, but unfortunately I have given way to "escape" literature. I have reached a point in my life where I want to leave my everyday world behind and jump into a world of paranormal creatures, great quests, and out and out silliness and fun.

    A book such as "Freedom" is too much like everyday life with real people and real problems. To me, it would be like watching a reality show of a family's life. The only reality show I watch is "Dancing with the Stars."

    I'm glad, however, that there are still authors out there who are willing and have the talent to produce books such as "Freedom." The world still needs great modern literature even if I'm past that point in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what you describe - there is a lot of reality to deal with and a great quest or escape is really appealing these days.

    I also like to keep some if the literary books on my radar or my shelf. They can be harder to get into, but can really pay off sometimes.

    Now, it's back to Mercy Thompson and the Alpha! I have to finish the last one before I move onto the Alpha/Omega series. These have been such a good find, that I am tempted to e-mail the author and thank her, and ask her how she does it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on that. If you do decide to e-mail Patricia Briggs, please pass along my thanks and congratulations too. How did you discover her and her wonderful series?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...