Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Risotto and the busted wine bottle

Appe-teaser:

Only I could jam a wine opener through the top of an uncorked bottle.

It’s true. I bored a hole in the top of a sherry wine bottle last night. Thinking it was a regular old wine bottle I drove our opener straight through the metal cap. It was a breeze and I was pleased with my work until I realized the error. See, it was a twist-off metal top, not a cork. If I hadn’t gotten so frustrated with the most uncooperative outer seal in history I would have realized this and we could have saved the wine to cook another day.

Instead, I used some for an amazing risotto and chalked the rest up as a loss. My impatience made for a real Duh moment and a few laughs. There are photos.

The Main Course:

I am not a big fan of constantly stirring anything so I typically avoid stuff like polenta (see previous post) and risotto. Last night I put my super stirring skills to the test. It turns out my efforts were rewarded with a delicious meal.

I made the Bacon and Wild Mushroom Risotto with Baby Spinach recipe from Cooking Light’s May 2010 issue. YUM! It was a deep delicious dish and everyone enjoyed it. Even my toddler ate most of hers. The creamy risotto got a boost from the bold flavors of wild mushrooms, bacon and Asiago cheese. If any of that makes your mouth water, I suggest you try this dish.

You can find the recipe in Cooking Light’s May 2010 issue, or search their website http://www.cookinglight.com/ for Bacon and Wild Mushroom Risotto with Baby Spinach.

Check back as I’ll post some photos of the meal and the busted bottle incident later.

SYOAS – See you online again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...