Pages

Friday, April 2, 2010

Rotogravure: 7 fun things about Easter

1. The long weekend, yay!

2. Easter egg hunts, especially when all the eggs are found.

3. Easter celebrations with family, friends and food.

4. Reading the Velveteen Rabbit.

5. Easter bonnets.

6. Easter baskets with Chocolate Bunnies!

7. “Easter Parade” and the rotogravure. I like the word rotogravure. If you are familiar with the Irving Berlin song, or the movie Holiday Inn, then you know what I mean. I recently read that rotogravure describes a printing process, but that’s not all. It also refers to a magazine supplement to a newspaper (usually part of the Sunday edition) that is printed using the gravure process. Before, I just enjoyed hearing Bing Crosby sing about it in the movie. Now it makes sense. Here is a version of the Easter Parade lyrics for your enjoyment. I think you can download Bing’s rendition from iTunes. Incredible, considering it’s from the 1940s. Enjoy!

“Easter Parade”

In your Easter bonnet, with all the frills upon it,

You'll be the grandest lady in the Easter Parade.

I'll be all in clover and when they look you over,

I'll be the proudest fellow in the Easter Parade.

On the avenue, Fifth Avenue, the photographers will snap us,

And you'll find that you're in the rotogravure.

Oh, I could write a sonnet about your Easter bonnet,

And of the girl I'm taking to the Easter Parade.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...