Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Surprising Stuffing Success

Let me start by saying this will mostly be about food. However, it’s raining outside and we may have a busted sprinkler valve. So I’ll make a quick prediction that a lake and a huge repair bill will surface soon.

Now, let’s discuss food. My latest recipe assignment was for some big time stuffing. My thoughts when I read the recipe? I love homemade stuffing as long as someone else makes it. Stuffing at our house usually comes from a box or bag. If I feel really chef-y I’ll jazz it up by using broth in place of the water. Woo-hoo! I knew I would have to dig deep to make this work, but welcomed the challenge.

I gathered all the ingredients and started cooking. The weather was perfect, just chilly enough to welcome a heated oven and a hot meal. The dish was probably one of my hardest yet since I decided to work on it late one hectic day. Not my smartest move, but the work was worth the reward.

I cut bread into hundreds of little squares, shaved veggies with a substitute peeler (bad idea) and made a mess of the kitchen. A friend stopped by the night I served the dish to my family and was kind enough to wait until I got the stuffing ready and help us with a taste test. Thanks, Deb!

I thought the ingredients might yield a sweet stuffing, I like savory, and wondered if the crowd would enjoy it. Boy, were we surprised. Not too sweet or too savory, just yummy! The dish was so good that we ate heaping portions and I even sent some home with my friend and froze a batch. Last night, we ate leftovers and it was just as tasty as the first meal.

I highly recommend this stuffing! Once the recipe is published, I will share the info. For now, you’ll have to drool and wonder. So you’re not hanging too long, I’ll post a picture soon.

SYOAS – See you online again soon!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait for the recipe, but like you, I REALLY enjoy homemade stuffing when someone else makes it. BTW my portion never made it to the freezer. I gobbled it down the next night. Still can't get over the perfect blend of savory and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear it! We enjoyed our leftovers and I defrost the last batch this week. I can hardly wait to share the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...