Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

Success or Mess Scratch Soup Week #1 – Cream of Mushroom Soup








The first week I made Cream of Mushroom Soup. I used to eat this a lot as a kid, and still love it! It’s great with crusty bread or oyster crackers. I noticed a recipe on the side of a chicken stock box that inspired me to make my own.








While I didn’t have to call in the troops, it did take a while to cook. I also had some pumpkin bread while it simmered, and I added whipped cream and loved every indulgent bite. Oh, yes I did!

The simmering time can be shortened a little, but the flavors really do best when they have a chance to blend. It’s even better the second night, so plan for leftovers.

We enjoyed this hot and hearty dish during the week, but I’d make sure the house isn’t Grand Central next time I make it. Not because it takes so much preparation and effort, but because it’s just easier to keep an eye on the stove that way. Let’s just say chopping, slicing and stirring between phone calls, doorbells and play-doh pick-up can have you running in circles.

So, clear the decks and enjoy my recipe for Cream of Mushroom Soup that’ll warm you right up.

Ingredients:

5 – 6 cups of chicken stock

12 – 16 oz white button mushrooms (cleaned and sliced thin)

1 small onion diced

3 tablespoons flour

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

1/2 teaspoon crushed dried thyme

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon white pepper

1 cup heavy cream

Dash of nutmeg

Directions:

1. Sauté butter, onions and mushrooms over medium heat about 20 minutes or until onions and mushrooms get soft. They should reduce in size and add liquid to the pot.

2. Add the flour slowly and stir until incorporated, about a minute.

3. Add thyme, salt and pepper and stir another minute.

4. Add a cup of stock at a time, to five cups, and bring to a simmer. Simmer about an hour (you can get away with a 30 minute simmer here, but the extra time intensifies the flavors) and add additional stock, up to a cup, as needed.

5. Reduce heat and slowly add cream and nutmeg. Let simmer another 10 minutes over medium-low heat.

Serve with crusty bread or crackers and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...