Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Girls’ Night & Stuffed Eggplant


Yesterday was a girls’ night out, which is rare these days. It was just after 3:30pm when I realized the day was almost gone and I was not ready – not even close. There are many days when I get so busy dressing, feeding, cleaning and caring for my kid that there’s no time left to care for myself. Moms and caregivers, you know what I’m talking about. The thought hit me that if I didn’t start something soon, there was no way I’d make it to my long-awaited dinner. It takes a lot to fit something into our busy and constantly changing schedules. I knew it could be months before I got the chance to see them all together again – and I needed this.
Fast-forward through the quick rinse and hot roller coercion of second-day locks to getting dressed. I will spare some of the details, but understand this, it’s hard enough to prepare for a night out when you’re not pregnant and harder still when you’re in one of those transitional times between elastic waists and needing a front- or back-end loader, just to get into your clothes. After some time wondering why the weather had turned on me when I’d already planned a late-summer/early fall outfit, I gave in, dressed for cooler temps and threw on some make-up.
By the time I finished, checked my look in the mirror. I knew I’d made it in time, but feared I looked like a stuffed eggplant. Not the look I was going for. A little mane taming and some accessories did the trick – mostly. Thank goodness my husband said something nice when he got home or I might have ended up wearing a trench coat. Instead, I went with what I had and made the most of it.
My friends and I had a wonderful time catching up. They were a lot of fun and so gracious to listen to the home improvement saga. It will be nice to see them again, but if it’s any time soon I may have to steer clear of brown so I don’t look like a roast turkey. J

2 comments:

  1. I thought you looked wonderful, like you always do. If I had known the drama you had to go through getting ready I might have teased you a little; really, just a little, not a lot.

    I hope the construction zone at home is finished or at least in the finishing stages. I can't wait to see it when it's complete and beautiful.

    It was wonderful catching up with everyone. I hope the next time we all get together the entire crew will be able to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I knew I could count on you for a smile!
    We're almost finished - carpet went in today and we're working on the final touches. Soon, very soon, you need to see it!
    I agree, it would be great to see everyone together again. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...