Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Creamy Parmesan Polenta

I made polenta once, while I was pregnant. My desire was either driven by hormones or maybe due to something in the preggo vitamins, but I had to have it. And I had to make it myself. The recipe I tried sounded simple, but had me stirring constantly. I got a workout and the stuff still set-up like a cement block. I looked at the colossal failure and cried. Would I fail as a mom too, due to my inability to make a simple dish? My doubt was probably due to the hormones again. It was an inedible mess and took another workout just to clean up. I ate some ice cream and cheered up slightly and vowed never to do that again.

That was until Cook’s Illustrated Magazine asked me to test its recipe for a Creamy Parmesan Polenta. I saw it as a challenge. So I put on my lab gear, grabbed my toughest spoon and cooked.

Their recipe gives lots of detail, which was helpful. It was written so a home cook could get the best result. Instead of making the Flame Tamer/Bunsen burner contraption they suggested, I turned off the stove for about five minutes to keep the temperature low in the second step. I turned it back on the lowest setting for the remaining time.

Success! If you are looking for a rich and creamy polenta, this is it. I served it as a side dish with Italian sausage and peppers cooked in marinara. The recipe yielded at least 8 side servings. It was so tasty we reheated it a couple days later. My failure had been erased. Well, sort of.

I included the test recipe below. You can find the published version along with detailed notes and tips in the April 2010 issue of Cook’s Illustrated Magazine. Happy Cooking!

Creamy Parmesan Polenta

Test recipe from Cook's Illustrated

Serves 4 as a main course or 6 to 8 as a side dish

Note: Coarse-ground degerminated corn works best in this recipe. It may be labeled as either polenta or yellow grits. Avoid quick-cooking or instant polenta, and regular or stone-ground cornmeal. Do not omit the baking soda -- it reduces the cooking time and makes for a creamier polenta. A good quality Parmesan that is not pre-grated works best in this recipe. If you do not have a heavy-bottomed saucepan, you may want to use a flame tamer, which can be purchased at most kitchen supply stores. Alternatively, one can be fashioned from a ring of foil. It’s easy to tell whether you need a flame tamer or not. If the polenta bubbles or sputters at all after the first 10 minutes, the heat is too high, and you need one. Properly heated polenta will do little more than release wisps of steam. When stirring the polenta, make sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the pan to ensure even cooking. It is imperative to stir the polenta once, after the first 5 minutes, to prevent lumps.

7 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
Pinch baking soda (do not omit, reduces cooking time and makes creamier polenta)
1 1/2 cups coarse-ground cornmeal (yellow grits, avoid quick cook or instant)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 ounces good-quality Parmesan cheese, grated (about 2 cups), plus extra for serving
Ground black pepper

1. Bring water to boil in heavy-bottomed 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in salt and baking soda. Slowly pour cornmeal into water in steady stream, while stirring back and forth with wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Bring mixture to boil, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to lowest possible setting and cover.

2. After 5 minutes, stir polenta to smooth out any lumps that may have formed, about 15 seconds. Cover and continue to cook, without stirring, until grains of polenta are tender but slightly al dente, about 25 minutes longer. (Polenta should be loose and barely hold its shape but will continue to thicken as it cools.)

3. Remove from heat and stir in butter and Parmesan. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Serve, passing Parmesan and black pepper separately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...