Pages

Friday, March 12, 2010

(Don’t) Repeat After Me

A recent trip with my daughter reminded me that I have to watch what I say. She picks up everything these days. Most of the time, I remember. Especially, when someone else is doing the talking. Sometimes I forget and say something I didn’t want her to hear. Then, whatever I said that I didn’t want her to hear usually gets mimicked over and over as a constant reminder of my mistake.

This particular day, we drove through a school zone during school hours. I managed to keep my speed in check. A delivery van for an unnamed company decided I was going too slow and passed me. “Come on, dude (I don’t often say dude, but it was nicer than the other word going through my head at the time), this is a school zone! I eyed his van as he passed. My daughter shouted, “Mom, that guy is a dude!” She caught me off guard with her exclamation and emphasis on dude. I smiled and let out a breath. “You’re right, that guy is a dude,” I replied and we both giggled.

This was tame, but a good example of how parents can get caught up in a moment or an emotion and say something they regret in front of their kids. Trust me, I’ve done worse. One time I had to come clean to my husband that I was responsible for our kid blurting out “Crap, crap, crap!” every time she dropped something. Not good.

Just remember, kids pick up on everything. Try to do and say things you’d like to see and hear them repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...